At Living Fibres, all of our clothing is made from cotton that has been certified organic. Whilst organics in the food industry is gaining momentum, a lot of people are still puzzled over whether there is any benefit in purchasing organic clothing. The argument for organic clothing zeros in on the most common raw material used in clothing: cotton. Cotton is a massive industry, yet at the moment it is estimated that less than 1% of cotton grown is organic. The change is beginning though, with many farmers making the switch.
The cotton in every brand we stock is GOTS certified. The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) provides certainty around the organic process, giving consumers confidence. The benefits are:
- Grown without the use of any synthetic agricultural chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides.
- Never uses genetically modified seeds.
- Conserves soil though crop rotation.
- Retains water more efficiently thanks to increased organic matter in the soil.
- Controls weeds through physical removal rather than chemical destruction.
- Controls insects by maintaining a balance between “pests” and their natural predators through healthy soils.